Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our long national local nightmare inconvenience is over

Yes, Harwich Center has a breakfast spot again! And in the same place that housed our previous breakfast spot, the "Stewed Tomato" - o frabjous day! callooh! callay!


[OK ... in all honesty, we've had a breakfast place in the area for a little over a year, since Harwich Central Cafe opened ... but for whatever reason, they never really seemed to quite fill the loss of the Stewed Tomato ... don't get me wrong, it's a great place - hell, they even have free internet access there - but it's definitely more of a funky coffee house than a diner-style breakfast place.

Hey, allow me a little artistic license and cut me some slack here, OK?

Whew. Glad we got that over with.]


Anyway, back to the new restaurant in Harwich Center. It's called "Shenanigans" and I hear it is run by the folks who run Katie's Homemade Ice Cream in Hyannis. They are open from 6 am to 3 pm, serve breakfast the entire time, and add lunch items to the menu at 11 am. There's probably around 8 counter seats (I didn't count), along with several tables. I went there for the first time the other day with Lady Trout, Princess Pinky, and Prince Stinky.

The restaurant has a very nice menu - for breakfast, there are the traditional egg/toast/bacon/homefries combos, various omelets (including make your own), breakfast sandwiches, a couple of benedicts (standard and one with, if I remember correctly, hash), pancakes, french toast, and even fruit-filled crepes.

The two young royals split an order of chocolate chip pancakes, which they both liked quite a bit - and you don't even have to go to the children's menu to order them! Her Highness Lady Trout ordered a veggie breakfast sandwich, which came with a little veggie patty in place of bacon or sausage. I had two eggs with bacon, toast, and homefries. Good bread options for toast, including a multigrain, which is what I got - nice and nutty! The homefries are just potatoes, and were pretty tasty, if not all that exciting. I prefer mine with some onions, but they were quite good. Adding some hot sauce would probably help - next time, I'll see if they have any. My only real complaint with my order was with the bacon (quel surprise, I know!) - there were only two pieces. I guess I'm used to 3 or 4 pieces to an order at other restaurants - the 2 pieces just seemed. Certainly not a deal-killer, and next time, I'll know and order an extra side of bacon. Breakfast prices were all in a reasonable range, too.

The lunch menu looks good as well. They have various types of sandwiches - panini, wraps, traditional sandwiches, almost all of which were $7.50 a pop. Bargain on the lunch menu at first glance looks to be the grilled cheese for only $3.99.

I'm definitely looking forward to going back to Shenanigans and trying out more of the food there. It looks to be a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

If you're in the area and want to give it a try - call me, I can usually be there in 5-10 minutes!

1 comment:

jenrebecc said...

i hate the name though.