Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I am a Cranky Old Man

Oh, it's summer on Cape Cod, and that means so many things to those of us who live here.

The other day I was on Route 6, in Eastham - I was in the left lane and passing someone in the right lane - I was probably going about 45, maybe a hair over (in a 40 zone), and the car behind me flashed his high beams because, apparently, even though I was passing a car at the time and driving over the speed limit, I just wasn't going fast enough for him.

But it's not just the tailgaters ... there are those that drive so slow as to make me understand why the speedfreaks might be so ornery ... the slowpokes, the timid drivers ... they drive well under the speed limit (30 in a 45 zone? is that really necessary?); they tap their brakes whenever a car is coming in the other direction ...

For the last few weeks, it seems as if I'm constantly either behind a car that's going 10 mph under the speed limit or in front of a car that wants to be going 10 or 20 mph over the speed limit - what ever happened to just driving the posted limit or at least fairly close, one way or the other?

Next time on "I am a Cranky Old Man": "When I was a kid ..."

No comments: